March 1912 – The Granite City Council votes to open a library, which is founded with a total of 300 books, donated by city residents.
1929 – Construction on the Granite City Public Library on Delmar Avenue is completed.
1990 – The public votes to expand library coverage into Mitchell, Pontoon Beach, and parts of Arlington, creating the Granite City Public Library District.
2003 – The name of the library district is changed to Six Mile Regional Library District to better represent the population served.
2012 – The library district prepares to celebrate its centennial in March!
Interested in local history? Visit our digital collection, Six Miles of Local History.